Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Re-purposed


This image is from a photograph I shot of one of several old factory buildings in the center of my small town. I pushed the contrast slider way over to the right in Photoshop, then proceeded to isolate areas and fill with color. I do these creative exercises to push myself to look at things differently and put a creative spin on the ordinary.
Also to blow off some creative steam when I've spent hours on end preparing quotes or processing screenprinting orders.
East Hampton was at one time famous for its bell factories. Many of these buildings are all but abandoned. Some house small businesses that come and go. But these extraordinary old buildings remain standing... for now. My hope is that they will find a useful purpose and remain landmarks for years to come.
I would love to see a gallery in one of them. A showplace for Connecticut artisans, a place to be inspired, learn, shop. The Frog Hollow of Connecticut.
Bill, Karen...are you listening?

4 comments:

Bill Evertson said...

Of course - I check in to my favorite blogs each day. Love what you are doing on this one. You have to spell this out - I'm so busy following Cindy's advice on a book on how to kill yourself before the 401k runs out that I have time for little else. So much research; too few subjects, I have to experiment on myself. If you have todays paper there is a small article about my friend Jafabrit on D5.

Teri Prestash said...

Can't wait to read your book.
but how will you have time to help form the artisans's coop in one of the old factory buildings.
That's what I was referring to when I asked if you two were listening. I can see your sumi-e show and Karen's weavings...
and by the way é is option and e then just e. I tried to leave that post this morning on your blog but it didn't take.

Bill Evertson said...

Thanks for the é. I'm really sick from trying to determine the effect of two dozen eggs on my cholesterol. What are you thinking - my veins are clogged. We have Goff and Epic - are you thinking a visual home apart from the old guard that centers on the EH art league, centered on Mrs. Sennent and 'Open Aire ' Old Lyme Academy style stuff?

Teri Prestash said...

I'm thinking Frog Hollow. Did you not follow the link? The cholesterol has reached your brain.
You really need to do that book, get someone else to do the research. Maybe the guy who did Supersize Me...